The best part about summer zucchini is that there are so many creative ways to incorporate it into all kinda of recipes (yes, even dessert!)
Chocolate zucchini bread has to be one of my favourite ways to use all that zucchini we grow in our garden every year. However, this year we decided to adapt the recipe to an even healthier version, cutting out all refined sugars, sticking to whole wheat flour, and using apple sauce and yoghurt instead of oils. Let’s just say you wont be straying too far from that summer diet by caving in to this chocolate treat!
Dark Chocolate Cherry Zucchini Loaf
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare a loaf pan with non-stick spray, coconut oil, or butter (or use a non-stick pan).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the honey, egg, apple sauce, yoghurt, and vanilla extract until completely combined. Set aside
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Once combined, slowly pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, stirring them in gradually.
- Add the zucchinni to the mixture and stir in.
- Add in the cherries, dates, and nuts. We typically soak dried fruits in boiling water first so that they plump up again (and it really brings out the flavour!)
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan, sprinkling some extra pieces of nuts on top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool before taking the loaf out of the pan.
Recipe adapted from You and Me are We