There are so many different types of coffees out there but none of them can also be doubled up as a tasty treat.
This recipe is a new take on the classic drink as it allows you to eat your coffee instead of drink it!
Although these are too subtle to substitute your morning cup of java, they’re still a super delicious way to satisfy your coffee cravings at any time of day!
Mocha Hazelnut Muffins
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup cake flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 tbsp espresso powder
1 tbsp baking powder
1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup brewed strong coffee
6 tbsp coconut oil*
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup crushed hazelnuts
3/4 cup quick oats
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp coconut oil**
tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup crushed hazelnuts
1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F and line muffin tin.
2. For the muffins, combine whole wheat flour, cake flour, sugar, espresso powder, baking powder, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and brown sugar in a large bowl and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the coffee, coconut oil, egg, and vanilla.
4. Pour the wet coffee mixture into the dry flour mixture and mix them together with a fork or spatula. Fold in the crushed hazelnuts.
5. For the streusel, combine oats, sugar, coconut oil, vanilla, hazelnuts, and cocoa.
6. Pour 1 heaping tablespoon of the muffin batter into each muffin cup and sprinkle about 1-2 teaspoons of streusel over each one.
7. Bake for about 17 minutes (or until a toothpick can be poked into one and come out clean).
8. Let cool and enjoy!
*coconut oil in the muffin batter can be substituted with greek yogurt or butter
**coconut oil in the streusel can be substituted with butter